Health – January 10, 2013
Wednesday, January 09, 2013
NAMI Geauga Speaker Meeting
Deanna Brant, of Ravenwood Mental Health Center, and Lt. Scott Niehus, of Geauga County Sherriff's Department, will address Crisis Intervention Team Training at the Geauga Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness educational speaker meeting at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 17 at the Geauga County Board of Mental Health and Recovery Services, 13244 Ravenna Road.
The Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) is an innovative police based first responder program of pre-arrest jail diversion for those in a mental illness crisis. This program provides law enforcement based crisis intervention training for helping those individuals with mental illness.
The program is free and no registration is required. For more information or to join the Geauga chapter of NAMI, please call 440-286-6264.
American Red Cross blood donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Donors may give every 56 days and must bring some form of photo identification and a list of all current medications.
For more information about confirming blood drive information, donating blood or making an appointment, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visit the Red Cross website at www.redcrossdonor.org. If you are interested in donating platelets, call 1-800-356-3339.
• Jan. 10, Bainbridge Town Hall, 17826 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 2-7 p.m.
• Jan. 12, Joeï¿½s Vinyl Window Shop, 15020 Shedd Road, Burton, 1-8 p.m.
• Jan. 13, Church of St Mary, 401 North St., Chardon, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Jan. 18, University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, 13207 Ravenna Road, Chardon, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Jan. 21, Geauga West Library, 13455 Chillicothe Road, Chesterland, 1-7 p.m.
• Jan. 25, Geauga County Department of Aging, 12555 Ravenwood Drive, Chardon, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 26, Fellowship Bible Church, 16391 Chillicothe Road, Chagrin Falls, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Jan. 26, Valley Presbyterian Church, 17560 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Lake Health is offering seasonal flu shots for $20 at the following locations:
• Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Clinic at Middlefield, located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.
No appointment is necessary. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older to receive the seasonal flu vaccine at our centers. The influenza vaccination is covered by Medicare.
For more information, call the Best of Health Line at 440-953-6000.
Help for Mental Illness
Geauga County National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers support, education and advocacy for those affected by mental illness.
A family and friends support meeting for those who have a loved one affected by a mental illness will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 10 at the Geauga West Public Library, 13455 Chillicothe Road in Chesterland.
No registration is needed; meetings are free.
For information, call 440-286-6264.
Flu Shots Available
The Geauga County Health District has announced its adult flu clinics.
Flu shots will be available every Friday during the season from 8:30-11 a.m. at 470 Center St., Building 8, Chardon.
Geauga County Health District will bill most Medicare plans for the flu shot and most employee health insurance plans. The flu vaccinations cost $25 if they are paid for in cash or $40 for high dose vaccine.
Pregnant women must have a signed order from their obstetrician.
No appointment is necessary. For more information or to pre-register, call 440-279-1950.
Blood Pressure Screening
Lake Health will offer free blood pressure checks at the Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday; and at the Middlefield Clinic located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m., Sunday.
2013 Immunization Clinics
The Geauga County General Health District offers childrenï¿½s and adolescent immunization clinics. Due to federal legislation, vaccines can no longer be offered free to anyone that has health insurance coverage, including Medicaid. Residents must present a current insurance card.
The following is a list of upcoming immunization clinics:
• Chardon, Jan. 10, Geauga County Health District, 470 Center Street, Building 8, 3-6 p.m.
• Middlefield, Jan. 16, St. Lucy Mission, 16280 Kinsman Road, 3-6 p.m.
• Middlefield, Jan. 17, St. Lucy Mission, 16280 Kinsman Road, 9-11:30 a.m.
• Newbury, Jan. 23, Grace Evangelical Bible Church, 14951 Auburn Road, 9-11:30 a.m.
For more information, call the Geauga County General Health District at 440-279-1950.