Health – December 6, 2012
Thursday, December 06, 2012
Help for Mental Illness
Geauga County National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers support, education and advocacy for those affected by mental illness.
A peer support meeting for persons diagnosed with a mental illness will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 at the Board of Mental Health and Recovery Services, 13244 Ravenna Road in Chardon.
A family and friends support meeting for those who have a loved one affected by a mental illness will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 13 at the Geauga West Public Library, 13455 Chillicothe Road in Chesterland.
No registration is needed; meetings are free.
For information, call 440-286-6264.
American Red Cross blood donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Donors may give every 56 days and must bring some form of photo identification and a list of all current medications.
For more information about confirming blood drive information, donating blood or making an appointment, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visit the Red Cross Web site at www.redcrossdonor.org. If you are interested in donating platelets, call 1-800-356-3339.
• Dec. 6, Chardon United Methodist Church, 515 North St., Chardon, 1-7 p.m.
• Dec. 13, Bainbridge Town Hall, 17826 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 1-7 pm. Double Reds available.
• Dec. 17, Junction Auto Sales Inc., 12423 Mayfield Road, Chardon, 1-6 p.m.
• Dec. 17, Troy Community House, 13950 Main Market St., Burton, 2-7 p.m.
• Dec. 18, Munson Town Hall, 12210 Auburn Road, Chardon, 1-6 p.m.
• Dec. 19, Mayfield Church, 7747 Mayfield Road, Chesterland, 2-7 p.m.
• Dec. 21, Ledgemont High School, 16700 Thompson Road, Thompson, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Dec. 24, Notre Dame Educational Center, 13000 Auburn Road, Chardon, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Dec. 26, .Gurney Elementary School, 1155 Bell Road, Chagrin Falls, 2-7 p.m.
• Dec. 27, Bainbridge Town Hall, 17826 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 1-7 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Dec. 28, Geauga YMCA, 12460 Bass Lake Road, Chardon, 1-5 p.m.
Blood Pressure Screening
Lake Health will offer free blood pressure checks at the Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday; and at the Middlefield Clinic located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m., Sunday.
Lake Health is offering seasonal flu shots for $20 at the following locations:
• Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Clinic at Middlefield, located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.
No appointment is necessary. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older to receive the seasonal flu vaccine at our centers. The influenza vaccination is covered by Medicare.
For more information, call the Best of Health Line at 440-953-6000.
Flu Shots Available
The Geauga County Health District has announced its adult flu clinics.
Flu shots will be available every Friday during the season from 8:30-11 a.m. at 470 Center St., Building 8, Chardon.
Geauga County Health District will bill most Medicare plans for the flu shot and most employee health insurance plans. The flu vaccinations cost $25 if they are paid for in cash or $40 for high dose vaccine.
Pregnant women must have a signed order from their obstetrician.
No appointment is necessary. For more information or to pre-register, call 440-279-1950.
The Geauga County General Health District is providing childrenï¿½s immunization clinics free of charge to all Geauga County residents regardless of income in 2012. Non-Geauga County residents will be charged $5 per child, per visit. Residents also must bring immunization records to the clinic to receive a vaccine.
The following is a list of upcoming immunization clinics:
• Chardon, Dec. 13, Geauga County Health District, 470 Center Street, Building 8, 3-6 p.m.
• Middlefield, Dec. 12, St. Lucy Mission, 16280 Kinsman Road, 9-11:30 a.m.
• Middlefield, Dec. 19, St. Lucy Mission, 16280 Kinsman Road, 3-6 p.m.
• Middlefield, Dec. 20, St. Lucy Mission, 16280 Kinsman Road, 9-11:30 a.m.
• Troy, Dec. 26, Troy Community Center, 13950 Main Market Road, 9-11:30 a.m.
For more information, call the Geauga County General Health District at 440-279-1950.