Health – October 25, 2012
Thursday, October 25, 2012
American Red Cross blood donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Donors may give every 56 days and must bring some form of photo identification and a list of all current medications.
For more information about confirming blood drive information, donating blood or making an appointment, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visit the Red Cross Web site at www.redcrossdonor.org. If you are interested in donating platelets, call 1-800-356-3339.
• Oct. 26, Geauga YMCA, 12460 Bass Lake Road, Chardon, 1-5 p.m. Drive is on bus.
• Oct. 27, Junior Leaders 4-H Club, 14373 North Chesire St., Burton, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Nov. 2, Cardinal High School, 14785 Thompson Ave., Middlefield, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 3, Joe's Vinyl Window Shop, 15020 Shedd Road, Burton, 1-8 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 4, Word of Grace Church, 9021 Mayfield Road, Chesterland, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 11, St. Helens Church, 12060 Kinsman Road, Newbury, 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 13, First United Methodist Church, 14999 South State St., Middlefield, 1-7 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 15, Bainbridge Town Hall, 17826 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 2-7 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 18, Church of St Mary, 401 North St., Chardon, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Double Reds available.
• Nov. 24, Valley Presbyterian Church, 17560 Chillicothe Road, Bainbridge, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Community Open House
University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center will hold a community open house celebration for its new and expanded University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center on Oct. 26.
The public is invited from 4-6:30 p.m. for tours of the $5.5 million, 4,600 square-foot hospital addition that will offer radiation therapy services beginning in November.
Attendees will also meet the expert team of caregivers dedicated to patient-centered care and enjoy light refreshments.
For details, call 440-285-7757.
Lake Health is offering seasonal flu shots for $20 at the following locations:
• Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Clinic at Middlefield, located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.
No appointment is necessary. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older to receive the seasonal flu vaccine at our centers. The influenza vaccination is covered by Medicare.
For more information, call the Best of Health Line at 440-953-6000.
Blood Pressure Screenings
Lake Health will offer free blood pressure checks at the Chardon Campus, 510 Fifth Ave., from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday; and at the Middlefield Clinic located inside Wal-Mart Supercenter, 15050 Springdale Ave., from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m., Sunday.
Lake Health will offer Senior Connection Oct. 31 from noon to 1 p.m. in St. Mary's banquet hall, 401 North St., Chardon. The Lunch and Learn program features a variety of topics dealing with seniors. October's topic is "Hands-only CPR."
Lunch is $2. Registration is required by calling Lake Health's Best of Health Line at 440-953-6000.
Flu Shots Available
The Geauga County Health District has announced its adult flu clinics.
Flu shots will be available every Friday during the season from 8:30-11 a.m. at 470 Center St., Building 8, Chardon.
Geauga County Health District will bill most Medicare plans for the flu shot and most employee health insurance plans. The flu vaccinations cost $25 if they are paid for in cash or $40 for high dose vaccine.
Pregnant women must have a signed order from their obstetrician.
No appointment is necessary. For more information or to pre-register, call 440-279-1950.